Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Twenty Minute Lifetime


The inner light...well that was my virginal Star Trek experience, and it was, as I heard other students proclaiming, "horribly cheesy" but the ideas at hand, are really what captivated me, (as well as the flute jams ) I started to think about this idea of experiencing an entire life within the frame of 20 minutes, and whether or not this is possible, whether or not this has happened to me.
Sometime later, I concluded several things:
no, I have never experienced a lifetime in twenty minutes as Captin Jean luc picard has as I have never been beamed by a space probe.
and Star Trek, though apparently steeped in advanced literary themes, is still a waste of ones time.
I did realize though, that beyond any dream I have had, beyond any potentially illicit experience I may or may not have eaten.
that the closest I have come to experiencing an entire lifetime, in the whole body sense, emotionally, spiritually, physically, and even in some ways sensually --its not that weird --Is during the intimate moments I have felt with extraordinary books. I mean this truthfully, it took some time to conclude this, but I have realized, and I have felt the attachment, the engrossment the complete rapture* with many novels. and it is an experience, on par though never quite comparable with life, with love and the act of loving. Everyday I realize more and more I am becoming a nerd, that I am falling in love with literature, but with that realization comes the understanding that literature is the only thing (aside from your life, girlfriends, family, friends etc) worth loving. It is a love of the superficial, but it is the only superficial thing of any worth.

Not only does the term Literature encompass virtually all that there is in the world in its many genres ect, but a simple book, about say a cattle drive from Texas to Montana, can span lifetimes of understandings, emotions, and philosophies. Though not necessarily twenty minutes, but perhaps, I have found that entering the novel, is the closest we can come to entering the lives of others, to experiencing a lifetime within our own (unless being john malkovich is a possibility) I think back on some of the works that, like the star trek, popped my literary cherry and i am drawn to many, but most importantly, the one that, thus far i have been fully devoted, and incorporated into in body and soul would be Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry, Though Sometimes a Great Notion got me rolling, Lonesome Dove stole my heart


*I have for a while been really into this word rapture to describe my affinity towards literature, and it has stemmed from James' blog last semester of the same title.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about turning into a nerd. I talk about the books we have been reading in this class constantly and I think those outside of the class that have to hear it are growing weary but I can't stop! It's really awful for them but I'm learning alot about the other nerdy side of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. We are not nerds. Do not fall for that assumption. We are what we think. If everything we do as artists is to try and understand the world a little more, why would you place yourself into such a societal cliche? We are to exist in society and outside of it. In time while looking through Our amber spyglass. I hate the idea of being called a nerd. Jon you are certainly not a nerd. Sarah......just kidding! Neither are you. I'm doing the coolest thing in the world. I am a badass. Not a nerd. Nerd is not a word that goes with Elite. Nerd is a word 'they' give to you.

    Sorry about the rant. But anyone that calls you a nerd does not understand. And anyone that speaks such of themselves is placing way too much emphasis on how others percieve them.

    BTW- Love Lonesome Dove- 'lived' it.

    P.S.- The Idea about writing a story- lets get together and share ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get the "living" a book experience. It reminds me of method acting, without the work. You're immersed in the story, experiencing all the emotions and you can see it. But I agree with James- it's definitely not nerdy. James Dean plunged himself in stories, living the emotions, experiencing it, and he was anything but a nerd.

    ReplyDelete